Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January Birthday Projects

Well I'm trying to keep the agreement I made with myself to do something creative and birthdays of friends and family are a great motivator.  The past two weeks I've been discovering Karen Burniston, Designer Pop Up Dies.  I may be late to the Pop Up die scene- but better late than never. I'm looking forward to her new releases coming out now that's she's joined with Elizabeth Craft Designs as well.
Whenever I purchase dies, especially the Sizzix Bigz dies, I like to find ones that I can use on many projects.  My first few dies included Sizzix Easel die, a large pillow pocket die for gift cards; and Karen Burniston's Pop Up Scallop Circle, a Butterfly Pivot die, accordion album & her 3D platform.  I know I will get tons of use from these dies.

Below are my first two creations using the Karen Burniston's dies.  My first Pivot card was for my husband's mother.  We both love purple so I thought I'd do a monochromatic cards in shades of purple using the Butterfly Pivot die.  The print paper is from Perfect Prints 6x6 pad Forever in Time.  The butterfly is embossed with the Cuttlebug Script embossing folder. I had a little bit of an issue apply Stickles- I started with a distress Stickles but didn't have the effect I wanted so I added silver Stickles on top of the previous layer.  The silver was a better choice in my opinion.
Since my paper stitching supplies hadn't arrived yet, I chose to use the white gelli roll pen to add stitch marks on the inner label of the card and embellished with Glitterazzi Pearlies in purple.



I really love my second card.  Momentum from the first card was making me want to do more on this one.  This card reminds of me of the eighties (I'm sure I'm dating myself here- LOL)- conservative not the front and a party inside. The front uses Spellbinders Labels Seventeen and Tim Holtz Labels and embossing folder.  The writing was done with a Marvy Reminisce 1.0 white pen.

On the inside, I used two different animated dies for this project--Karen's 3d platform die and her scalloped circle pop up die.  The stamps used were- Magenta Large Butterfly and Stampin' Up 2005 Sing Bird. I absolutely love coloring these images with distress markers and then accentuating them with Stickles glitter glue.  I used the second label from the Tim Holtz labels set, and Sizzix Bird die.  I really like to try to use all my scraps so I took left over brown pieces and ran them through my Vagabond with Tim Holtz Wood Grain embossing folder.  I then cut and positioned them to make the tree trunk. This card was so much fun.   It makes me feel happy seeing it sit open on the table.  The biggest challenge I had on this card was working with acetate instead of paper for my 3D platform.  I feel I could do it faster the next time around but the crease pad doesn't really do enough on the acetate.  I needed to use my score pal to really get the material to respond the way it needed to on this project.  I will say it was well worth the time- because it makes the butterfly image look like its floating mid-air.

I hope you enjoyed my first creations using Karen Burniston's Pop Up and Pivot dies.  There are so many possibilities with these creative dies. 
Happy Crafting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment